Family Life Medicare Supplements are a great option for people who live in states where they are offered. Family Life is a subsidiary of Manhattan Life, which has been in business in some form since 1850. Family Life is the division of the company that focuses most on Medicare Supplements. Family Life plans are offered in many areas of the country and it is rapidly growing as one of the larger Medicare Supplement providers in the country. As of the start of 2015, Family Life is offered in all states EXCEPT: AK, HI, WA, UT, MN, OK, FL, VA, NY, ME, MA, VT, NH, and RI (some states may still be pending Department of Insurance approval). In many of the states where they are offered, they are among the lowest-priced plans available. It is essential to remember that, nationwide, Medicare Supplement coverage is standardized from company to company so there is no variation in the coverage with a “like” plan (i.e. Family Life’s Plan ‘F’ is the exact same as another Plan ‘F’).
Family Life Medicare Supplements – What Plans Are Available?
To recap, ALL Medicare Supplement companies provide the standardized Medigap coverage, including Family Life’s plans. Family Life offers most of the more common plans, which are detailed more below. To see a full chart that shows what all of the Medicare Supplement plans cover, go to: Medigap coverage chart. The list below reflects which plans are offered in most states (can vary slightly from state to state, depending on state requirements – contact us for exact information about which plans are offered in your state).
- First and foremost, Family Life offers the Medigap Plan F, which is the most common and comprehensive Medigap plan. With this plan, there are no out of pocket co-pays, deductibles or coinsurance at the doctor or hospital.
- They also offer Medigap Plan G in most states. This plan does not cover the Medicare Part B deductible ($162/year for 2011); however, it has lower premiums than Plan F and is, in some cases, a better value.
- Family Life also offers Medicare Supplement Plan N, which is one of the newer Medicare Supplement plans that just began on June 1, 2010. This plan combines cost-sharing ($20 doctor’s office co-pay, $50 emergency room co-pay) in exchange for lower premiums. Additionally, it doesn’t cover the Medicare Part B deductible, which is $162 for the year 2011.
So Now That You Know More about Them, Should You Consider Family Life Medicare Supplements?
Family Life Medicare Supplements are a great fit for many people and many situations. Here are a few:
- People who have a grasp on the standardization of plans and don’t want to pay extra for a company’s “name”, when they can get equal coverage from a highly rated company with lower rates.
- People who want predictable out of pocket expenses that don’t change from year-to-year and/or a plan that doesn’t change benefits each year.
- People who want “full” coverage at the doctor/hospital with little, or no, out of pocket expenses (Plan F)
- People who are losing their Advantage plan coverage or leaving or losing employer group coverage. The changes in these two marketplaces in 2010 and 2011 has caused many people to be looking for Medicare Supplement insurance, and Family Life is a great option.
If I Want More Information about Family Life Medicare Supplements, What Is My Next Step?
Many people believe you can only sign up for Medicare Supplement plans during the end-of-year enrollment period. This is, however, not the case. With Medicare Supplement insurance, there are no special enrollment periods – this only applies to Medicare Part D and Medicare Advantage plans. So, whether you are turning 65 or just looking to save some money on a higher-priced plan, contact us for more information or to get a quote comparison including Family Life’s Medicare Supplement plans. As an independent agency, we can provide unbiased information about the companies available in your area in a centralized place so that you can compare all of the options.
To get quotes on the plan or more information, go to Family Life Medicare supplement quotes or you can reach us by phone toll-free at 877.506.3378.
We look forward to helping you compare plans and serving your Medicare Supplement insurance comparison needs.