Forethought Medicare Supplement plans are one of the newer entries to the Medicare Supplement marketplace. Their plans are available in many states already with more to be added later. As of the start of 2011, the states that Forethought Medicare Supplements are available in are: GA, IL, IN, IA, KY, LA, MN, MS, NE, NV, NC, ND, OH, OK, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, and WV (some states are still pending Department of Insurance approval). In many of these states, they have come into the marketplace as one of, if not THE, lowest price plans available. Keep in mind that Medicare Supplement coverage is standardized from company to company so there is no variation in the coverage with a “like” plan (i.e. one Plan ‘F’ is the exact same as another Plan ‘F’).
Forethought Medicare Supplements – What Plans are Offered?
As reiterated above, all Medicare Supplements provide the standardized Medigap coverage, including Forethought’s plans. There are several options to choose from (see below). To see a full chart that shows what all of the Medicare Supplement plans cover, go to: Medigap coverage chart. Forethought offers several of the standardized plans in each state. Below reflects which plans are offered in most states (can vary slightly from state to state, depending on state requirements – contact us for exact information about which plans are offered in your state).
- Forethought offers the Medigap Plan F, which is the most common and comprehensive Medigap plan. With this plan, there are no out of pocket co-pays, deductibles or coinsurance at the doctor or hospital.
- They also offer Medigap Plan G. This plan does not cover the Medicare Part B deductible ($162/year for 2011); however, it has lower premiums and is, in many cases, a better value.
- Forethought also offers Medicare Supplement Plan N, which is one of the newer Medicare Supplement plans. This plan has some small cost-sharing ($20 doctor’s office co-pay, $50 emergency room co-pay) in exchange for lower premiums. Additionally, it doesn’t cover the Medicare Part B deductible, which is $162 for the year 2011.
Who Should Consider Forethought Medicare Supplements?
Forethought Medicare Supplements are a great fit for many people and many situations. Here are a few:
- People who understand the standardization of plans and don’t want to pay extra for a company’s “name”, when they can get equal coverage from an ‘A’ rated company with lower rates.
- People who want predictable out of pocket expenses that don’t change from year-to-year.
- People who want “full” coverage at the doctor/hospital with little, or no, out of pocket expenses (Plan F)
- People who are losing their Advantage plan coverage or leaving or losing employer group coverage. The changes in these two marketplaces in 2010 and 2011 has caused many people to be looking for Medicare Supplement insurance, and Forethought is a great option.
If I Want More Information about Forethought Medicare Supplements, What Is My Next Step?
Contrary to common belief, you can sign up for a Medicare Supplement plan (any plan) any time of the year. There are no special enrollment periods – this only applies to Medicare Part D and Medicare Advantage plans. So, if Forethought Medicare supplement insurance is a fit for you, whether you are turning 65 or just looking to save some money on a higher-priced plan, contact us. We recommend getting a full rate quote comparison of plans available for your age and zip code (from Forethought and other companies), and as an independent agency, we can provide that information.
To get quotes on the plan or more information, go to Forethought Medicare supplement quotes or you can reach us by phone toll-free at 877.506.3378.
We look forward to helping you compare plans and serving your Medicare Supplement insurance comparison needs.